A lot goes into being a homeowner besides just paying your mortgage each month. You’ve got tons of things to maintain around your house to ensure everything runs smoothly and as efficiently as possible. One of the most potentially problematic systems in your house is your plumbing system. Pipes, drains, toilets, showers, sump pumps—you name it, something can go wrong at any moment. If that happens, you’ll need to call an emergency plumber in Toronto as quickly as possible.
Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to help prevent the need for those last-second calls to your friendly plumber:
- Avoid chemical drain cleaning products: While products advertised on TV work to clear any junk out of your drains, they can also end up doing more harm than good in the long run. Those powerful chemicals plow through clogs, but in the process, they corrode your pipes. Over time, your pipes can develop holes and leaks. It should go without saying that a leak is a whole lot worse than a simple clog! Instead of relying on over-the-counter cleaners, pour 1/2 cup of salt down your clogged drain, followed by boiling water. Keep flushing the drain with hot water to clear the clog.
- Prevent clogs: You can avoid having to pour salt and boiling water down your drains by buying a strainer to cover your drains. A strainer will prevent any chunks of food and stray strands of hair from getting into the drain and clogging up your pipes. The best part? Strainers only cost a few dollars! Prevent clogs in your toilets by only putting toilet paper and waste down the toilet. Although they’re liquids to begin with, it’s crucial to never pour any grease or oil down the drain. Those substances will eventually harden and cause major backups.
- Reduce water pressure to reduce stress on the pipes: Everyone loves a strong water flow, but that flow puts a lot of undue stress on your pipes. All of that stress will drastically reduce your pipes’ lifespan and eventually lead to leaks and holes. If you’re unsure of how to turn down your water pressure, just give us a call. We’re happy to visit your home to do it for you.
- Soften the water: The naturally occurring minerals in water aren’t just bad for your hair and skin—they can also really harm your plumbing system! The only way to combat high calcium levels in your water is to install a water softener in your home. Regardless of the unit you purchase, it’ll pay for itself in just a few years with all the money you’ll save from not having to deal with damaged pipes.
- Maintain your sewer lines: Call a plumber once a year to visit your house and snake your sewer lines. Just like a water softener, this is a small cost that’ll prevent the need to call a plumber in the middle of the night to make emergency repairs.
Follow these tips, and you shouldn’t ever need to call an emergency plumber in Toronto, but on the off chance that something goes awry, you know who to call! The professionals at Rooter Group Inc. are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to meet all of your emergency plumbing needs.