As a homeowner, you want to make sure that every possible aspect of home protection has been looked into—and we’re not just talking about insurance here. You also need to physically protect your home from damage, no matter how unlikely it would be for certain events to occur. Take flooding, for example. Most residential insurance companies offer flood protection, but for natural flood occurrences—not so much for sewage backups into your home, even though the pressure behind the backup may have been caused by a natural event.
It’s time to reevaluate your plumbing situation and check if you have backwater valves installed. What can these devices offer you? Here are five advantages of installing backwater valves on your plumbing in Toronto:
- Worry less about sewer backups: Backwater valve installation is crucial—especially for homeowners who need extra protection in their main drain line. When installed properly, this small device protects your home and possessions from unexpected sewage backups that would otherwise send toxic wastewater gushing in through your home’s drainpipes. But you won’t have to worry about this if you have a backwater valve installed.
- Prevents basement flooding: The basement, being at the lowest point of your home, is likely to be the first room to get flooded in the event of a sewage backup. To ensure your basement remains free of sewage water, install one of these devices. This prevents toxic water from getting in or backing up into the basement area.
- Lower flood insurance cost: If you have a backwater valve installed, you might be able to get a lower premium on your homeowners’ insurance. While you’re on the phone with your insurance company discussing discounts, remember to clarify your flood coverage. Are major sewer backups covered? Is your basement or cellar included in the coverage?
- Peace of mind: Even if you do have flood insurance, you may not be aware that your insurance company has specific types of flood coverage. For example, they may cover natural disaster flooding, but not a basement flood due to a plumbing malfunction or the sewer backing up during heavy rains. Truth be told, you could be paying for residential flood insurance thinking that you will be completely covered after a sewer backup, but you’re not. For peace of mind, install backwater valves, regardless of whether you’re covered or not.
- Save money: In the event that you have a sewage backup, not only will you be inconvenienced, but your home will also need an incredibly thorough cleaning. The amount of money it will take to hire a professional sewage cleanup crew and replace damaged belongings will be way more than the cost of a backup valve. In other words, if your home is in an area or in the position to be in danger of flooding, then investing in backwater valve installation is well worth the cost.
If you are interested to learn more about how your plumbing in Toronto can benefit from backwater valves, then don’t hesitate to call the team at Rooter Group Inc. anytime!