Your water main is an essential part of your home’s plumbing in Toronto. When it is broken or clogged, you will likely see the symptoms right away. However, many customers will blame the first signs on weather or a quirk with their home, and address the problem only when it becomes serious. Rather than risk your water supply, here are the signs of water main failure:
- Low water pressure: You will experience low water pressure because there is less water making it to your house. Also, the air leakage from the breach reduces pressure. If your once robust shower stream suddenly becomes a trickle, there may be an issue with your pipes. Clean your showerhead first to eliminate a minor problem, and if the water pressure remains inadequate, it is likely a water main issue.
- Damp areas in your yard: If you did not run your sprinkler system and yet you find damp areas in your lawn or garden, be concerned. These damp areas often indicate that your underground pipes, including the water main, have breached. This is especially true if you discover this problem with the other symptoms of a water main breach. Besides your lawn or gardens, the sidewalk or driveway will also present puddles, even if you never ran the hose or turned on the water source outside.
- High utility bills: Unless you added a pool or other serious water demand to your household, that spike in your water bill is likely not due to use. It is most likely due to a leak in your water main. Every time you run water, there is also water leaking out of your pipes that is not used by your household. It is not uncommon for this to cause your bill to double, or even triple.
- Water leaks in the basement: Your basement should be dry. Any type of moisture, whether from condensation or pipe leaks, indicates a serious problem. When a water main breaks or backs up near your basement, you will find puddles of water or even sewage if there is a clog. Any water accumulation in your basements requires immediate investigation.
- Dirty water: It is normal if your water appears rusty when you have been on vacation and have not run it for a few weeks. However, if you are home and running the plumbing every day, your water should appear clean. If there is sand or dirt coming out of your fixtures, that often means the water main broke and is now exposed to the underground elements.
- Sunken areas: Erosion is natural due to weather conditions. However, if it happens quickly enough that you notice it, there could be something else behind it. In addition to dampness, you may also notice areas of your yard have sunk. You could even notice that your sidewalks or driveway shifted if the leak is especially serious.
To address issues with your water main and other plumbing in Toronto, contact Rooter Group Inc. today. You can call us for an appointment or keep our phone number handy for 24-hour emergency service.