As we head into spring, we are also heading into flooding season. This time of year can cause water damage to your home if you are not prepared for rain and floods. Drain failure is the number one reason for basement floods. With the spring showers bringing large amounts of water your way, you will want to make sure you have properly working drains in your home to handle the extra water. If you think you have a problem, call for drain repair in Toronto now before you are stuck with a flooded basement. Here are some tips to see if you need drain cleaning or repair at your home.
- Fill traps: Check all the sinks in your home, especially the ones that are infrequently used. You want to make sure the trap hasn’t dried up, as water should be held in the trap to ensure good drainage. Add a gallon of water to sinks that you rarely use to fill the trap adequately.
- Snake slow drains: If you have a drain that is slow to drain water, you will want to snake the drain to free it from any blockages. You want to make sure the drain is working as quickly as possible in the event of a storm, as water will fill the sink and be unable to drain quickly. This can cause flooding much more quickly than you might expect. If you need help getting a drain to operate faster, call for drain repair in Toronto.
- Test your sump pump: Your sump pump is critical to draining water. Now is the time to test that it is working properly. Pour a couple of buckets of water into the sump pit and watch that it turns on quickly. It should discharge the water and shut off. If it doesn’t perform as you would have hoped, call for drain repair in Toronto to get this fixed.
- Fix your floor drains: Your basement floor drains should be equipped with backflow valves that will prevent sewer back up into your home. This can be a messy situation to deal with, so you want to ensure you have these installed. Also install flood alarms so you are alerted at the very earliest sign of flooding. A professional plumber can make sure these are fitted properly.
- Clear downspouts and gutters: Check your downspouts and gutters for debris. This can clog drainage and create runoff water that goes directly into your home. Outdoor drains should also be cleared of any leaves or dirt, and be sure to check your vent pipes for things like birds’ nests. Keeping these areas clear will help divert water away from your home.
- Check for leaks: Search your basement and crawlspace for any exposed pipes, as well as for leaks coming from these pipes. If you come across leaking areas, you will want to get drain repair in Toronto from a professional plumber that can fix the problem.
By acting now, you can prevent flooding in your home. A professional plumber that specializes in drain repair in Toronto can help you identify any problem areas you may have before the next big storm. Contact Rooter Group Inc. for your plumbing and drain repairs and maintenance needs. We offer 24/7 service for plumbing emergencies and don’t charge extra for night and weekend service.